Ben Nevis Challenge




Last week, whilst on holiday in the Scottish Highlands, I naively set myself a challenge to climb Ben Nevis. I figured that reaching the summit of Britain’s highest mountain and standing atop of Britain’s highest point would be cool, give me a sense of achievement and give me memories to last a lifetime.
What I didn’t count on, and wasn’t completely prepared for, was that although I started the hike in a vest top, I would end it in sleet, freezing winds and snow. Not only that, what I thought would be a smooth path to the summit turned out to be winding, rocky, uneven and steeper than I could possibly have imagined.
During the 3 ½ hours it took me to get to the top (not to mention the 3 ½ hours to get back down again!) I met many people coming back the other way. Some had simply found the going too tough and were turning back which made me think about doing the same. However, there were some amazing people who, having reached the summit themselves, gave me the encouragement and motivation to keep going.
I’m a firm believer in that you can achieve anything in life if you show determination, believe in yourself and never give up. Maybe I’m stubborn, but when I set myself a challenge, I make damn sure to see it through.
Despite all the subsequent aches and pains, I succeeded in meeting my goals of achieving something cool and I’ve created memories that will indeed last me the rest of my life.
So, why am I telling you this? My point is simply this, always challenge yourself outside your comfort zone, don’t let quitters distract you and believe in yourself that you can achieve anything if you want it enough by never giving up.

Comments

Popular Posts