Opportunity Knocks

 




My experience today reinforced in me the importance of never passing up an opportunity when it is presented to you. Last night my fellow students and I received an email, apologising for the short notice but asking for volunteers for a one-off assignment today as a styling assistant to Minna Attala, a London based freelance fashion stylist. 

 

In the short time I had to do some research on Minna, I quickly realised what a fantastic talent she is having styled for some well-known brands, editorials and celebrities. I quickly rearranged my diary and put myself forward for the role. 

 

Without being told the specifics of what I was volunteering for, I was asked to attend a venue in London at 7.30am this morning to assist Minna in a shoot ROXi TV Brand Campaign. If that wasn’t exciting enough, I was then told there would be a cameo appearance by Kylie Minogue in the afternoon! 

 

It was a long day, finishing at 10pm, however I’ve never been afraid of hard work and it was an honour to work and learn from an extremely talented stylist like Minna. Being able to observe, and be involved in, a highly professional shoot involving ‘A’ list stars was truly inspiring and an experience I’ll never forget. 

 

Today has taught me a lot and made me even more determined to put in the hard work required to succeed in this business. It would have been incredibly easy to have come up with reasons not to have applied for what was an unknown role at the time, but my determination to succeed overrode any insecurities and doubts I might have had about myself. 

 

I sometimes have to pinch myself that I’ve had such amazing opportunities and experiences so early into my college experience. It’s made me realise that just a few of the secrets to success are to believe in yourself, don’t have any doubts and put yourself out there. As Richard Branson once said; “If someone offers you an amazing opportunity and you’re not sure you can do it, say yes – then learn how to do it later.” 





Comments

Popular Posts